

SLT Meeting  
22 December 2016

In Attendance: Keisha Warner, Principal; Alison Beckman, Assistant Principal; William Linville, UFT Chair; Juan Seda, Parent; L'Iridona Plepi, Student; Cierra Seda, Student; Aida Cruz, Parent; Derrick Cameron, GFS Artistic Director; Anne Bennett, Parent; Sylvie Guillen, Parent.  
Minutes: Preya Singh, Teacher.

I. Welcome – Prior Minutes Approval

AB: Move to approve minutes.

Minutes approved.

KW: Let's assemble binders! I will call out the table of contents so you can organize it.

II. Freedom of Information Law and SLT Bylaws

KW: School SLTs are now held accountable for being very open. In the past, dates were not publicized; it was a closed meeting. We have always been hospitable to guests. Open means anyone can come to our meeting. They have to go through security channels, but anyone can come.

- We must select a new place to meet, in the eventuality that there are more guests.
- Media cannot be barred from attending or recording meetings.
- School security agents sit in on SLT meetings. Two will be requested: one will stay at meeting and one will stay at front desk.
- Meetings must be held in a barrier free location.
- Rules for meeting will be posted on door of meeting.
- Meetings should be publicized to at least one news source.
- The public is not a voting member of the SLT.
- Our SLT bylaws will have to be amended.
  - No flash photography.
  - Guests cannot have any of our food.
- Should guests be able to participate?

CS: Certain things they should not be able to give opinions on, but certain things they can.

WL: We should differentiate between members of the school community and others.

KW: How do we define that?

WL: Teachers, Parents, Students, GFS members, Guidance Counselors, College Counselors, Former Students/Alumni.

KW: What about community members?

WL: We could state what people can comment on and what they can't.

KW: I would like to be more restrictive and then become more open than vice versa. It's not the same.

AC: I think other people shouldn't be able to participate.

KW: I want to hear from members here. I don't mind others watching us, but the participation piece I am really uncomfortable with.

WL: I would not want to restrict participation of our school community. Perhaps we can add an agenda item for public questions or comments. They would be unable to vote in decisions. People who can't voice their concerns might feel more tense.

KW: But they are coming into our meeting, and are aware of the rules before they enter.

WL: This is very hypothetical. We don't want community members who are concerned to raise concerns.

CS: How long will these meetings be if that happens?

AB: We can't predict how many people might come. It's unpredictable. Once you open it up, we can't not address the questions.

KW: There are no parameters.

AB: There are other contexts and avenues for community members to raise concerns. It doesn't have to be SLT.

KW: Legal is not in favor of community participation. Principals are in very vulnerable positions. It opens up vulnerabilities of everyone on the SLT, especially principals. This is forcing us to say: can guests speak or not speak?

WL: I don't agree that only SLT members should be able to speak.

JS: This decision would only apply to The Cinema School? So the rules would be different for each high school.

KW: Once we complete our Bylaws, we will communicate it to the public. Parents might not be able to speak at an SLT meeting, but they can speak at Parents' Association.

DC: Moving forward, every person who is on the SLT would be able to speak.

KW: There is a vacancy on the SLT for the role of parent advisory council.

CS: I don't know how I feel. I am okay with people asking us questions, I am not sure about CEP decisions.

KW: Once we open it up, everything becomes fair game.

CS: Can we disregard what they say if we don't like it?

LP: I think that's a waste of time.

WL: I think the public is a different constituent from the people at our school. We have a problem with parent engagement. We shouldn't just invite parents to events, but we should encourage them to have a say. There is not a problem restricting the public, but I think we should allow all parents to have a voice. We are conflating the public and school community members. I am not in favor of taking away parents' roles as community members.

KW: For all intents and purposes, the public is all members who are outside of the SLT. Parents who aren't on the SLT have a space to discuss.

WL: This is a space for school decision-making. Engaging parents means allowing them into this process. The PA doesn't make these decisions. The discussions in the PA are different from the discussion in the SLT. Can we have bylaws that don't let the press and public in while still allowing parents in?

KW: The PA meetings are very under-attended. Parents have a voice. It upsets the balance when more than one constituency can vote. Being observers to this meeting would make the space where parents meet more robust.

DC: Are we voting on this?

JS: Do we have to vote right away? What legal advice did you get?

KW: They suggested not to do it.

WL: Does the law restrict us from differentiating from the public and the community?

KW: That would upset the balance.  
WL: Isn't the process for amending SLT bylaws for mandated members to meet and decide?  
JS: What's the probability of getting visitors?  
CS: Besides parents?  
KW: Obviously I say no.  
AB: I don't think it should be open to the public. I agree that it's no.  
WL: Unless we are being restricted from allowing teachers and parents to speak. Are we restricted within the law to make the distinction?  
KW: You're the public or you're not.  
WL: We're not allowed to make distinctions?  
KW: We can't alter the law.  
WL: We want more people to be involved in the decision making process.  
JS: No. If you want to have input, be on the team.  
LP: No. It would waste too much time.  
CS: No.  
DC: Yes.  
PS: Yes, with distinction between community members and public.  
AC: The CEP has a lot of information. If you're not on the SLT, you shouldn't be privy to all these things.  
AB: It's black and white. No. If you want to participate, you should be a member to participate.  
KW: It's tipped toward no. We should get into the practice of reviewing our bylaws to see what is feasible. We should be responsive to how this unfolds. Parent voice makes a big difference. There is so much space to do that. If this inspires people to have a voice, they should come to the PA meetings. The information is open; it's observable.

- Agreed: No close up shots for Media.
- Minutes have to be public. Within two weeks, they should be in draft form, available to public.

CS: Visitors should not have any paraphernalia that might be distracting to our meeting, such as music devices.  
JS: No noise disturbances of any kind.  
WL: If this is going in the bylaws, the three of us have to make these decisions. This isn't official.  
KW: I have to look at the regs. This is an executive session. We can say to the public, "We are going into the executive session" for really personal, private matters.  
JS: I don't have a problem with them seeing the minutes, just with them having input.  
KW: Openness is always concerning. I don't mind people listening in. It's not top secret stuff. The focus is on the school. Any remaining concerns or questions?  
WL: Just that we need to set up a time to meet to discuss the bylaws.  
CS: Will we have to decide on different times to meet?  
KW: No. They come when we are here.

[Looking at previous bylaws to fill vacancy.]

KW: There are many things that need to be changed.

JS: Article IV, Section ii: Filling a vacancy.  
KW: The seat that is vacated is a parent advisory council seat. Are you interested in being on the SLT, Ms. Guillen?  
SG: Don't you have to advertise?  
KW: Ms. Gutierrez will reach out to you and everyone on the Title I committee to fill the vacancy.  
WL: I want to close the loop on when we can meet.  
KW: Where in the regs does it say that it's only the required members?  
WL: I remember Alison saying that last year.  
AB: I believe it is per the regs.  
KW: I am almost always available.  
WL: When is good for you, Ms. Cruz?  
AC: Tuesday or Thursday.  
KW: Tuesday.  
WL: How about Tuesday, January 3, at 4:30?  
KW: I can do that.  
AC: I can do that, too.

III. CEP Goals Check-In and Related Business  
Tabled for next meeting.

IV. Budget Check-In  
KW: There is 1,855 to spend. PA will decide how to spend these funds.  
Tabled for next meeting.

V. Teacher Updates  
WL: I might be stealing some PA thunder, but we met to talk about setting up the Talent Show. We said April 28 and we're working together. Applications have been sent out. We will be working on posters. We will be setting up try outs. Mr. Stebel's Sketch comedy club might be hosting, one teacher and one parent.  
KW: Parents get upset when their children don't win things. I like the idea of a panel where there is no winner or loser.  
WL: Perhaps GFS can help us get a panel of esteemed judges.  
DC: Yes, possibly.  
WL: There's an issue with an English teacher vacancy. We had someone with the UFT come in and we are going to be working together to get this position filled.  
KW: There's so much bureaucratic red tape.  
WL: Ms. Warner is working on it. The teachers are also working on it, so the position can be filled until March.

VI. Student Updates  
CS: When is the graduation date and place?  
LP: It's at Mount Saint Vincent.  
AB: Schools don't typically release this information until Spring. It's June 22. It starts around 1:00. Weather permitting, there will be some refreshments outside.  
CS: How many tickets can we have?

KW: Probably around 4.

AB: Probably more. Last year, we allowed 6. Cohort size determines how many we can offer. We have about 70 students in the senior class.

LP: When are retakes for photos?

AB: It's based on technical issues and would have to be approved by Ms. Brownstein. It's the week of January 10.

#### VII. PA Update

AC: To increase parental involvement. Ashley Farms sales were given out yesterday. We are preparing for movie night on January 18 from 3:30 to 5. Tickets will be \$5. There will also be snacks.

LP: Which movie?

AC: We are working with Ms. Gutierrez and Mr. Stebel to select the movie. We will have a guest from HR Block to discuss Taxes sometime in February.

JS: Are parents not allowed to participate in things legally?

AC: The PA welcomes all parents. They are more than welcome to volunteer. We need help selling concession.

DC: We have screeners for movies that are in theaters. However, you can't charge for tickets, as you can't profit off of it. Is it possible to not charge for tickets but charge for concessions?

AC: I am going along with what other PAs do. Ms. Warner has the last word.

DC: I would like you to discuss it with the PA members and decide.

AC: Ok.

LP: If it were free, I would bring my own food.

CS: I agree.

KW: How about you have to purchase from the concession to get in? We can also include all campus parties.

AC: I will bring it up to the executive board.

AC: We are also having family photos in June.

CS: It would be cheaper to email pictures.

AC: We need to know how many students would be interested. The photographer is volunteering, but there will be a sitting fee. Family photos will be on May 6. April 28 is the Talent Show at 6, \$3 a ticket. Doors close at 6:30. Due date for application is January 27.

#### VIII. Guidance Events and Updates

AB: College Night. About 23 students came. Derrick came and gave a brief overview of schools that offer film related programs. The same night, NHS induction ceremony inducted new members. We are planning community service projects throughout the school. Ms. Monforte organized a coat drive, and there is a canned food drive in the works. We would like to organize something every month. College Now is coming to a close for the Fall semester. Thursday, January 19 at 5 will be the Spring information session for kids and parents. There is an SAT prep program at College Now, 50 seats are available. We created a contract for College Now students so students know they have to do well in their classes to participate in College Now.

IX. GFS Updates

DC: We had a great field trip in conjunction with Sony Studios. Approximately 20 students saw Passengers. Chris Pratt and Jennifer Lawrence came. We want to make these opportunities available to all students. Next semester, first thing on the docket is MWI. One week in February, one week on March. Students will continue with post until May. The Frick project will begin with January. They will have about 8 classes, from January until April. Production of this will take place in July. Honors Film students will begin prepare to go to Tel Aviv, Israel, for their international film. Date TBD. LA Honors Film will also be going to the same location. Great feedback regarding NY kids vs. LA kids.

LP: Who can attend casting calls?

DC: Ask Mr. Stebel.

X. SLT Norming and Scheduling

Tabled for next meeting.

XI. Questions/Concerns/Additional Business/Future Agenda Items

DRAFT