HOW TO APPLY
The Cinema School is a selective high school. We base our admissions decisions on:
- ELA and Math Scores (preference given to level 3 and 4)
- Course grades (preference given to 85 averages and above)
- Attendance (preference given to students with 95% attendance or better)
We strongly encourage you to:
- Attend one of our Open House events in the fall
- Come visit our table at the High School Fair in October
- Call us any time at (718) 620-2560 or e-mail the school’s Guidance Counselor, Mr. Moore at email@example.com
- Interested in attending TCS? Prospective Students and Families, click here to sign up for email reminders about the High School Application process.
Select the Cinema School on your High School Application- Code: Y42A
Students transferring mid-year or students transferring from outside of New York City public schools must visit a NYC Dept of Education Student Enrollment Center to enroll.
The Cinema School offers a rich liberal arts education grounded in creative activity. Filmmaking serves as the core of a strong academic program that prepares students for a wide range of careers. All students are given courses needed for the Advanced Regents Diploma and at least two Advanced Placement courses. Competitive colleges love our students! In addition to providing students with essential creative and technological skills, filmmaking also deepens learning by building confidence, responsibility, teamwork, and leadership. One of our unique features is our mid-year Filmmaking and Animation Institute in which students work on film projects of their choosing and receive hands-on support from industry professionals. We offer a supportive small school community and individualized attention.
Program Highlights: Mid-year Filmmaking and Animation Institute: students develop film projects, shoot on location, work with resident and guest artists that are prominent in the film industry and visit art-focused colleges and professional studios; four-year Cinema Studies curriculum includes filmmaking, storytelling, media criticism and history of visual arts; internships, independent study; College Now courses at Lehman College; all students are required to take at least two Advanced Placement courses before graduation.
Advanced Placement Courses: Biology, Calculus AB, English Language and Composition, Macroeconomics, United States Government and Politics, United States History
Online Language Classes: Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Latin, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish
- Community-Based Organizations: Ghetto Film School, our partner organization, based in the South Bronx community, has been nationally recognized for their achievement in providing young people a gateway into the professional world of media arts and for helping to mold the next generation of story tellers.
- Higher Education Institutions: City of New York (CUNY) – Lehman College: College Now
- Cultural/Arts Organizations: Museum of the Moving Image, Lincoln Center Society, Tisch School of the Arts at NYU, The Frick Collection
- Corporate: NewsCorp, Wieden + Kennedy, CNN, JP Morgan Chase & Co., The Rockefeller Foundation, TimeWarner, Bloomberg Philanthropies, NYC Department of Culture
- Other: New York Cares
Extracurricular Activities and Clubs
Film Screenings, Acting & Directing in Film, After-school Film Program, Advanced Placement Exam Test Prep. Based on student interest and need, past activities have included: Archery, Yoga, Chess, Creative Writing, Daily small group Advisory Meetings, Dance, Debate, Gay-Straight Alliance, Key Club, Students Against Animal Cruelty, Partners with New York Cares for Community Service, Rock Band, Photography, SAT, School Newspaper, Student Government, Tutoring, Regents Prep, Variety & Talent Shows, Web Design, Yearbook
PSAL Sports Teams Boys: Baseball & JV Baseball, Basketball & JV Basketball, Swimming
Girls: Basketball & JV Basketball, Softball, Swimming
School Sports All students are eligible to participate in the James Monroe High School Campus sports teams. School-based sports in our Physical Education and/or after-school curriculum have included Archery, Basketball, Capoeira, Open Gym, Volleyball